Raising Kids on REAL Food: Muffins
My girls LOVE muffins for snacktime or breakfast. Mmm, do they love muffins! Lots of muffin mixes really hold no nutritional value and honestly, muffins are so easy to throw together (coming from a lady who can BAKE very few things).
These muffins are jam packed full of goodness: oranges, raisins, walnuts, flax seed, grain and yummy buttermilk. If your kids don’t like one of those things, don’t worry. Just swap it with another good mix-in. Also, if you are not into the “organic thingy” as some of you tell me in emails, you of course can choose to NOT use organic. (Although, one day I’ll switch you over *insert evil laugh here*)
3/4 cup of 12 grain flour mix (sometimes it is called 8 grain or 16 grain. If you can’t find it, substitute with just flour.)
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup of oat bran
1 cup of GROUND (ground!!! or your body can’t digest it) Flax Seed
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
2 oranges (seeded and cut into pieces)
1 cup of organic fair trade brown sugar (one day we will talk about how your sugar gets to you)
1 cup of organic buttermilk
1/2 cup corn oil
2 organic FREE RANGE Eggs
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 365
2. In large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
3. In a blender combine brown sugar, buttermilk, eggs and oranges. Blend well.
4. Mix the two mixtures together and add in raisins and nuts. Mix well.
5. Divide the batter between the muffins tins. It makes 2 dozen very yummy muffins for breakfast or snacktime.
6. Cook for 16-18 minutes until the center comes out clean.
Hope your family enjoys these as well. We finished these off SO fast!