New York Style Cheesecake
I posted this over at Little Window Shoppe too, I honestly only make this once a year at the max because it plumps me right up!
Cheesecake is my favorite dessert, we served it at my wedding luncheon, but sadly over six years later, I have only had cheesecake two times since.
Personally, I love New York style cheesecake with sour cream, lots of eggs and no citrus zest. The only extra taste I want to add to my cheesecake is chocolate!
Since baking isn’t my forte, I recently purchased Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook and now make delicious baked desserts all the time! This NY Cheesecake recipe is from her cookbook and it is finally the best cheesecake I have ever made or bought! (You can find her book at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and many other bookstores).
New York Style Cheesecake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- One 9-ounce package chocolate wafer cookies, finely crushed (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 pounds (six 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
Directions (refer to pictures 1 & 2):
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap exterior of pan (including base) in a double layer of foil. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place crushed wafer cookies and 3 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl; stir until well combined. Pour melted butter over cookie mixture and mix until evenly moistened. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake until crust is set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- (Picture 1) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 1/4 cups sugar and flour. With mixer on low speed, gradually add sugar mixture to cream cheese; mix until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined; do not over mix.
- Pour cream cheese filling into prepared pan. Set pan inside a large, shallow roasting pan. Carefully ladle boiling water into roasting pan to reach halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake 45 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Continue baking until cake is set but still slightly wobbly in the center, about 30 minutes more. Turn off oven; leave cake in oven with door slightly ajar, 1 hour. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cake cool completely. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 6 hours or overnight. Before unmolding, run a knife around the edge of the cake (Picture 2).
I topped it with my extra special, top-secret and yummiest tasting sauce in the whole wide world.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce
- One 14oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
- 2 oz of Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Milk
Directions (refer to pictures 3 & 4):
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan, put over low heat until everything is melted and combined well (Picture 3).
- Drizzle over cheesecake (Picture 4).