France’s Version of Hopscotch—Escargot (Snail)
Could it be possible that there is a better version of hopscotch out there? And that France would have it? It is true! France’s version of hopscotch is called Escargot or Snail and this is a great one to try with your kids. It isn’t difficult and it’s loads of fun!
Directions and sketch via thinkquest.org
|Number of Players: 2 or more
Equipment: Chalk – to make the hopscotch. (No puck is used for this version of the hopscotch game.)
|How to Play
- Decide which is your hopping foot and who goes first. Whichever foot you choose is the foot you will hop on both to go to the center and to go back out.
- Hop through the snail to the center. Start with square 1.
- Hop only once in each square. Do not hop on any lines or you will lose your turn. You may rest when you reach the center.
- Turn and hop back to the beginning. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for a second time.
- If you have hopped in and out successfully you may choose a square as your “house”. Put your initials in the square.
- You can use this space to rest and other players must skip over the square.
- The game is over when it becomes impossible for anyone to hop to the center. The player with the most squares at the end is the winner.
Tags: france, hopscotch