Favorite Things Party
My friend and I are both new-ish to our neighborhood. So we decided to host a fun night to get to know all the ladies around us better. A Favorite Things Party is a fun way to do this. I learned what people’s go to stress comfort drink/food is. So when I notice they are having a bad day I can rush it over. I learned what some people do for work through their items. I learned a lot about people’s hobbies. So now when I see something I know they would enjoy, I can pass it along. One of the gals is a huge lover of films so they next day I ran over my favorite for her to borrow.
So just host one, yes if you are the new girl on the block, host one. I’ve written about being the new girl all the time on my blog before. You have to THROW yourself out there, not wait for things to come to you.
Back to the party, I’ll tell you what we did for our Favorite Things Party. I’m so mad that I didn’t take pictures during, I only took pictures before and at the very end.
What to Ask Everyone to Bring
Their three favorite things, unwrapped, but in a gift bag. I did give some ideas to try to get their minds moving. They were: favorite snack, book, scent, ingredient to cook with, recipe, church talk, DYI/craft supply, list of your favorite websites, drink, plant, makeup, organizational tool, thing to pick your mood up, cleaning product, hobby, etc. Or even something tied to a favorite memory.
I worried about putting a dollar amount on what to bring but I should have said, $10-$25 for all three items combined.
Potluck Appetizer Spread
(Man we have the best cooks in my beautiful neighborhood. I could have sat there and ate for hours. I would have if I had known them all better, I like to eat!)
(These are ideas from Jamie Oliver’s flavored water recipes)
Dessert Bar provided by the hosts
Favorite Things Party Game
1. Had everyone go around the large circle and explain the three items they brought.
2. Then we passed a bag around the circle with getting to know you questions. But questions that would also make people switch their bags. These are the ones I thought up and used:
1. Trade with the person who…..has lived in the most states.
2. Trade with the person who…..has visited the most countries.
3. Trade with the person who…..has the same favorite restaurant as you.
4. Trade with the person who…..has the most sons, then trade with the person who has the most daughters, then with the person with the most children.
5. Trade with the person who…..has the same favorite TV show as you.
6. Trade with the person who…..has the same hobby as you.
7. Trade with the person who…..has the same pet peeve as you.
8. Trade with the person who…..has the same favorite treat as you.
9. Trade with the person who…..likes to do the same thing as you do to relax.
10. Trade with the person who…..has the same favorite website as you do (a certain blog, recipe site, news website, etc.)
11. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….are runners.
12. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….watch The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
13. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….have surfed, then who have skied, then who have bungee jumped or sky dived, then those who have ziplined.
14. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….have seen or caught a firefly.
15. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….has gone to a concert or play in the past year.
16. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….have a pet.
17. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….would chose to have a beach house, then who would rather have a cabin in the woods, then who would rather have a brownstone in a big city.
18. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….are the oldest in their families growing up, and then who are the youngest in their families growing up.
19. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….has volunteered at a homeless shelter.
20. Have all the people stand up and trade with everyone else who….have finished a book this week (have to tell us which one!)
3. Whatever bag you end up with at the end of the game is yours. You get to take it home with you! And now you also know tons of new things about all the ladies there.
In the picture below, the top items where the ones I brought. Autobiographies are my favorite type of book, and this one is one of my very top choices. I love collecting children’s picture books, and Oliver Jeffers is one of my favorites. And then I like to drop off little cards and treats (nice chocolate, from a local company–I love local too!) to people throughout the week. The bottom items, in the picture below, are the ones I went home with. This lady loves to cook and this magazine she loves because it is unhealthy comfort food. She loves to always wear bright fun nail polish. She enjoys this brand in particular because it has not harmful chemicals in it. Lastly Izzies, man I am lucky I went home with this bag.
Favorite Things Party Favor
My friend and I, the hosts, put together a gift bag for everyone. They had one of each of our favorite things in them that everyone could take home with them.
P.S. Thank you to my sweet friend, we just did a bridal shower last week together too!