We have this sweet woman coming to the house to help 20 hours a week. Mainly it is for the girls and I to learn Spanish faster. But she also helps me keep up on cleaning the kitchen, an extra hand during crazy times during the day, etc. When I want to go somewhere fun during the day with all the kids now I can because she is with me. She is wonderful! She is such a fun friend to have around and her daughter fits right in with my four.
I have her teaching me all of the Colombian dishes she knows. She just moved here to Costa Rica two years ago, she spend 26 years of her life in Colombia. The first thing she taught us to make were Arepas. Tyler remembers them from his mission and has wanted to start making them.
I will try my best to type out a recipe for you but mainly for me because I don’t want to forget how to make them.
Danarepa Mix (or white cornmeal)
Hot Water (heat it in a kettle or boil it)
Toppings: Onion & Tomatoes sauteed with a bit of ketchup, salt and pepper OR cheese OR beans OR chorizo OR gallo pinto. First what you have to do is rub the arepa with butter and then you can put on your topping.
1. Slice up a few slices of butter and toss into your cornmeal. Then pour hot water into it until it gets to the consistency above. It is not sticky–but it sticks together well. Add a little of water at a time, stir with your hands, then add more.
2. Rip open a plastic bag and on one half place your ball of arepa mix.
4. Fold the other half of the bag on top of your ball, press it down a little bit, then roll it out.
5. You can use a bowl to form the right circle OR see below she used cookie cutters for the kid’s arepas.
6. Then you cook them on medium in a pan that had a tinch of butter melted into it. You cook it for a couple of minutes on both sides.
7. Then rub the arepa with butter and put on your selected toppings.
Tasty, tasty! I have loved learning from her, so far I have learned 4 dishes, I hope to learn one more next week. And don’t you worry I am teaching her too, yesterday I taught her how to make brownies.
Everyone needs some good brownies in their life.