Beef Enchiladas from Scratch…SCRATCH
My husband loves enchiladas and I have made countless batches of awful enchiladas. I wanted to try to make beef enchiladas from scratch (I mean SCRATCH) to see how good they would really be. Oh and they were…THEY WERE.
Beef Enchiladas from Scratch
3 Yellow Onions, diced
10-20 Garlic Cloves, minced
5 Anaheim chile, seeded and chopped
3 Jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 Tomatoes, chopped
3 Tomatillos, chopped
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp fresh ginger root, minced
2 tsp cumin
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 small can of tomato paste
3-4 cups of beef broth (just depending on how thick/thin you want your enchilada sauce)
Salt & Pepper
1/2 bunch of cilantro, minced
2 1/2-3 lbs of beef
12 flour tortillas
1/2 cup of cheddar
1/2 cup of mozzarella
1. Cook your beef with the cilantro. I just do it in the crock pot on high for 4 hours with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Then shred it and set aside.
2. Heat some oil in a skillet and saute 2 of the minced onions along with half of the garlic until they start to become translucent. Then add in 1 of the Anaheim chiles and 1 of the jalapenos until they are soft as well.
3. Mix the beef and this onion/garlic/chile mixture. This is the “inside” of your enchiladas.
4. Heat some oil in a skillet and saute the other large onion, other half of garlic cloves, other 4 Anaheim chiles, 2 jalapeno chiles, 3 tomatoes, 3 tomatillos and some salt and pepper.
5. Add in all the spices: Mexican oregano, cinnamon, cloves, ginger root, cumin and sugar. Let simmer for awhile till everything is soft.
6. Add in the beef broth and tomato paste and let simmer for a good 30 minutes. Then let cool and blend. Your enchilada sauce is done!
7. For the “assembly line,” dip tortillas into enchilada sauce and put 2-3 Tablespoons of the beef mixture into the enchilada. Roll them up and place them seam side down in the pan. Top with the remaining sauce mixture. Then top with cheese and cook for 40 minutes at 350.
Tags: beef enchiladas