hey! come back, why did you all click away??
…Rachael Ray gets a bad wrap. She is the one that first got me into cooking when she started her 30 Minute Meal show back in the day. I remember watching it when I was newly married and we were living in Massachusetts. She introduced me to things like fresh herbs, olive oil, the right kind of salt and pepper, fish, chorizo, even using fresh garlic!
Sure some of her recipes now are…not my cup of tea. But some of them are really fantastic. A lot of them are! And this Apple Nacho one is a absolute favorite every apple season with our kids. I’ve been meaning to share it for a few years! So a big thanks to her for getting me into cooking so long ago.
Rachael Rays’s Apple Nachos
- 2 whole wheat pita breads (I just use what I have, I think pictured are some whole grain thin english muffin thingys)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 banana
- 1 green apple (why do I have two pictured…I have no idea)
And for the peanut butter sauce, you need:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the pitas in “chip slices” size
- Place all of the pita chips on a cookie sheet and brush with melted butter
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the pita pieces
- Bake chips for 5 to 7 minutes, until they are crisp and lightly browned
While is it cooking, work on the sauce:
- Put peanut butter, milk and honey into a small pot.
- Stir and melt together over low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Once melted, remove from heat.
Now that everything is cooked, pile the cinnamon pita chips on a platter and pour the peanut butter sauce over them. Top with chopped banana and apple.